Corteva Agriscience has an exciting opportunity for Licensing Manager role based in either Johnston, IA or Indianapolis, IN.
The Technology Transfer and Licensing (TTL) group of Corteva Agriscience has an exciting career opportunity for a Technology Licensing Manager, to be focused on in- and out-licensing of intellectual property and transfer of technology in support of innovation and technology advances across the Seed & Traits and Crop Protection R&D and business areas in Corteva .
This Technology Licensing Manager will be a key member of Corteva’s Technology Transfer and Licensing team made up of licensing managers and contract associates. The position will be located at either of Corteva’s Global Business Centers in Johnston, Iowa, and Indianapolis, Indiana. The Licensing Manager for this position will be a dynamic, goal-oriented, and results-driven individual with demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal); experience in technical and/or contract drafting/writing, negotiation and process management; ability to manage multiple projects concurrently and efficiently; a solid background in or and/or understanding of intellectual property management and/or scientific/technical arenas; and strong teamwork orientation. This is not a people management role; this position does not have direct reports.
The position will be located at Corteva's Headquarters in Indianapolis, Indiana, or the Global Business Center in Johnston, Iowa. This role can accommodate a flexible work arrangement involving working both onsite and from home. This is not a fully remote position.
Who are we, and what do we do?
At Corteva Agriscience, you will help us grow what’s next. No matter your role, you will be part of a team that is building the future of agriculture – leading breakthroughs in the innovation and application of science and technology that will better the lives of people all over the world and fuel the progress of humankind.
How will you help us grow? It matters to us, and it matters to you!
- Plan, lead and execute the diligence and agreement negotiation actions necessary to establish R&D and commercial level licenses, collaborations/alliances, and technology transfer transactions between Corteva and public and private entities.
- Coordinate, lead and manage negotiation and agreement management related workstreams with colleagues in R&D, legal, external affairs, technology acquisition, alliance management, open innovation, regulatory, supply chain, finance, and other groups in Corteva.
- Work with Corteva finance managers and legal counsel to obtain necessary financial and legal clearances and guidance for agreements.
- The incumbent will be skilled in the art of defining and validating terms leading to successful alliances/collaborations and licenses, and be capable of drafting and negotiating technology agreements, from term sheet to executed contract.
- Coordinate clearance and approval for release, license or transfer of technologies, traits and germplasm (working with others in Corteva as appropriate), and be capable of managing this process across geographies in Corteva.
- Facilitate and monitor agreement management, stewardship and complianceincluding but not limited todatabase entries, and payment and other contract obligations, reports, exercising of options, etc. Develop and maintain strong knowledge of important agreements and their impact on new or ongoing technology contract negotiations.
- Maintain relationships with a network of contacts in both Corteva and the public and private sectors to determine shifting structures, standards/norms, roles and goals within the industry.
- Provide guidance/training to Corteva-internal R&D and business clients with respect to Technology Transfer and Licensing standards and processes.
What expertise have you grown? What do you bring to the table?
- Bachelor’s degree in the biological or chemical sciences is required. Master’s (or higher) degree in a biological or chemical science discipline, or a master of business administration or Law degree, is preferred.
- 3-5 (or more) years of experience working in an academic or corporate licensing or technology transfer function is strongly preferred.
- Exposure to or experience with (i) agreement negotiations, (ii) intellectual property rights, (iii) patent process and/or (iv) contracting and technology licensing norms and issues; preferably in agriculture or the life sciences.
- Understanding of intellectual property management, biology/chemistry/biochemistry research and regulatory activities in agriculture or related areas, is preferred.
- Basic knowledge and undersanding of plant biology/physiology, genetics, biochemistry, plant breeding, organic chemistry and/or natural products, is required.
- Confidence and ability to work through and resolve challenging issues in a timely and professional manner, to successful outcome.
- Experience in successfully managing multiple projects and deadlines within a complex organization, with strict attention to detail, prioritization and efficiency.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, and technical writing skills required.
- Proven ability to build solid relationships, earn the confidence of internal stakeholders and demonstrate the ability to get results in timely manner with attention to timelines and deadlines.
- Strong organizational and project management skills required.
- Must be reliable, self-motivated, persistent and have the ability to work effectively both alone and collaboratively in small and large teams.
- Membership and/or credentialed in a national or international professional society focused on licensing and technology transfer topics is preferred.
Work/Visa Sponsorship not offered for this role
We care about you and we care that you're comfortable. While there's no place like home, Corteva comes close.
Des Moines, Iowa is the fastest-growing major metropolitan area in the Midwest with a nationally ranked high quality of living. It’s nicknamed the Silicon Prairie for its place as an up-and-coming hot spot for technology. Living here means Saturdays at the nationally renowned Downtown Farmers' Market, sporting events, a robust downtown night life and access to one of the most artistic medium sized cities. If you enjoy the outdoors, Des Moines offers beautiful nature trails for a casual walking, running or biking adventures.
It means going to a job you love and coming home to a community of friends and family. Communities care about their residents and residents care about their communities, making a difference for everyone who lives here. This is a place where culture flourishes and opportunities grow, where a work-life balance can be achieved, where education is unmatched, and award-winning arts and entertainment are right around the corner.
If you’re looking to move to a big city with a small-town feel then Indianapolis, Indiana is the place for you. This dynamic, multifaceted city has a robust sports scene, urban nightlife, and top-tier entertainment. Indianapolis is quickly making its name as one of the best sustainable food and agriculture scenes in the country. Located in the heart of the Midwest, Indianapolis is a welcoming city ripe with culture and a thriving economy.
Indianapolis is Indiana’s capital with more than two million residents in the greater metropolitan area. It’s the economic and cultural center of Indiana and offers something for everyone. There’s plenty to do, see, learn and experience in Indianapolis.
Let’s peek at how you can grow your wellbeing, health, and future at Corteva!
- Strike a better work-life balance with robust time off benefits including paid maternity, paternal and family illness leave
- Prepare for your future with our competitive retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement program, and more
- Enjoy access to health benefits for you and your family on your first day of employment
- And much, much more!
Ready to grow your perspectives, impact and career? Growing what matters starts with you — start by applying to this career opportunity today!